Thursday, August 20, 2009

Tales of a Third Grade Something


Today is Henry's first day of school. He was very, very excited. So excited that he put his backpack on about 7:30 and wore it around the house until I finally let him leave for the bus stop at 8:00 am. Not 7:59 - 8:00. Because it's only the first day of school and he's already trying to leave earlier and earlier so he can be first in line at the bus stop. I'm glad that I don't have to bribe and cajole and threaten to get him out the door, but I think leaving at 8:00 am - a full 20 minutes before the bus comes, when it only takes him about 5 minutes to walk (or run) to the bus stop - is reasonable.

He goes to a new school this year. Last year his school was for grades K-2, so he's off to the grade 3-5 elementary school. He is, in general, a good student so I expect him to have a good year this year. I haven't met his teacher yet, but Back to School Night for his school is next Wednesday night so I'll meet her then.

Last night was William's Back to School Night and we met his kindergarten teacher for the first time. She seems really nice. Actually, I've never met a kindergarten teacher who doesn't seem really nice. Beyond introducing myself and William to her last night, I haven't talked to her yet as there were too many people clamoring for her attention last night, but I will when I take William back for his kindergarten assessment on Monday afternoon.

The house seems quieter this morning. Henry isn't popping up to ask me if he can have a snack or call a friend or ride his bike around the block. In another week, William will be gone every afternoon. And Tessa will have two afternoons a week of preschool. I'm excited about having a little time to myself, but it's bittersweet somehow. I didn't think I was the kind of person to get teary-eyed as my kids start school and become more independent and just don't need me as much as they used to. But apparently I am. Who knew?

I think I need to get out more.

1 comment:

Lori said...

Wow, Rhonda!! I can't believe Henry is a 3rd grader!! Time flies...(((HUGS)) for being sentimental...I know I will be in rough shape when my kiddos are in regular school. Having Sophie go to 1 morning a week of preschool is doing me in, lol