Thursday, August 27, 2009

Riding the Bus



I just put William on the Kindergarten Bus. I'm not teary like I was on Henry's first day of Kindergarten. I'm more excited, because William is so ready to start his public school career. His backpack was full (too full, actually, but he just had some supplies to take on the first day), he had on his North Park Knights t-shirt, and was ready to go!

He did great on his kindergarten assessment earlier this week. His teacher asked him to count as high as he could and when he finally got to 100, he took a big breath and said, "can I stop now?" He's getting close to reading and I'm excited for him to be able to read to himself - that was a big step for Henry in kindergarten. His handwriting isn't the best yet, but that will improve with time.

I met Henry's teacher last night for the first time. He really likes her. When I introduced myself, she said, "He's a chatty one." Sigh. He's not disrespectful at all, thank goodness - he just likes to visit with his friends. So I'm sending him with lots of books to read when he finishes his assignments early and has a little time to spare. He took my copy of Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone today - that will at least keep him busy. We looked for some more books for him to read at the library today - I found a few new series books that he might like. It's a constant challenge with Henry - to find books that challenge him in reading but that still have age appropriate material for him. The first few Harry Potter books are OK, and then we'll go from there.

Tessa goes to preschool in a bit and then I'm free until 2:45! I actually have plans to help a friend with her pre-Calculus, but it's kid free helping. There won't be kids fighting or pestering or calling names this afternoon. I think I could get used to this.

Edited to add: I got Tessa off to preschool and ran something back to the library and to get Smoothie King for a quick late lunch and found myself crying. They are all growing up and as much fun as it is to see them try new things, it's hard to know that they don't need you as much anymore. I'm such a sap.

1 comment:

bevnmax said...

Cheer up Mum!!Golly how will you be when they go away on missions or get married and leave home? Not that they ever really leave home. It's wonderful to see them all growing up.
Bevnmax