Sunday, August 9, 2009

Forever 29

Today is my birthday. Not my 29th birthday, my 41st. Apparently the theme of the day in our house was Forever 29, since it was on my cake and William kept saying, "you don't look a day over 29". Don't worry, I don't have any illusions of looking 29. I'm nothing if not realistic.

Besides, I don't think I'd want to go back and be younger. I was 29 when I got married and had my kids at 32 (almost 33), 35 and 37. Since I'm really enjoying our little family, I'd hate to be 29 again and miss out on the fun we have with our children. My 30's were good to me, but (as Jay likes to point out) everyone turns 40 eventually. And he's right.

Actually turning 41 hasn't bothered me. I do sometimes think, "gosh, I'm in my 40's now", but most of the time it's not the number that causes me to really consider that I'm fast approaching, if not already in, my middle age. It's the fact that my 20th high school reunion happened 3 years ago (for the record, I didn't go because for some odd reason they had it in April and I was very very pregnant with Tessa). It's the fact that they play 80's music on the oldies stations. It's the fact that I can actually say to my kids, "I didn't even have a computer growing up" and be telling the truth. That kind of stuff makes me feel old.

Still, it's not all bad. I got cake today. A day with cake is never, ever a bad day.

4 comments:

Wright's said...

Happy Birthday Rhonda! Sounds like you had a great time.

mstokes said...

Happy Birthday! It's not the age that counts - it's how you feel in your heart! Forever 29!

bevnmax said...

Happy Birthday Rhonda. Sounds like you had a wonderful day. Oh to be 29 again....I've almost forgotten what is was like
love Bev and Max XX

Lori said...

Happy Birthday :) And as a 29 year old, I agree, it's a good age :)