Thursday, August 6, 2009

Bobcats and Wolves and Bears, Oh My!

Look at my cute little Cub Scout. He was so excited to attend his first activity this morning. They went to the fair and saw all kinds of animals. I'm not exactly sure what they were supposed to be learning, but Henry mentioned something about goats. And ice cream. Good times.

I have to admit I'm not the most scout-friendly mom out there. I think scouting is great, really I do, but I don't see the "big deal" that some people make out of it. I think boys can grow up to be good, even great, men regardless of their level of advancement in scouting. It is pretty well organized in our church, however, and they do regular activities for the boys starting at age 8, so it's kind of a no-brainer. As long as he enjoys it, I'm good.

I was nervous, however, about putting the badges on his uniform. I don't own a sewing machine and while I can make pillowcases for my children for Christmas with lots and lots and lots of supervision (thanks, Melissa!), that's about it. Lucky for me, some enterprising soul invented something called Badge Magic. It's an adhesive that you can use to stick the badges on the uniform. It's really, really sticky (and it messed up my scissors) but it was so much easier than buying thread and conning someone (probably my good and patient friend Melissa again) into letting me borrow their sewing machine over and over and over again. If I knew the person who invented Badge Magic, I'd send them a thank you note. Seriously.

On a side note, Tessa has started saying "Oh my goodness gracious" whenever she is surprised or excited about something. It's kind of cute, but I really couldn't figure out where she picked it up. Until today. She went to the store with me and would not stop talking. She rattled on about cheese and crackers and all kind of things and was asking me a question about fruit snacks and I said, "Goodness gracious, Tessa, I just don't know." So I guess she gets it from me. That and a love of chocolate. I've done my motherly duty, I suppose.

2 comments:

Olive Tree said...

Hi, it's a very great blog.
I could tell how much efforts you've taken on it.
Keep doing!

mstokes said...

I will be using Badge Magic for sure! Who really sews those on? Now tying the neck tie thing, I may have to come over for some help! You'll be an old pro by then!