Friday, March 13, 2009

Hey, You Guys!

My kids love the new version of the PBS show "Electric Company". I watched the original show back in the 70's. It was fun and colorful and had Morgan Freeman in it - what's not to like?

This show is a bit different but still charming. It features a group of kids (OK, they're teens) who belong to The Electric Company. They have a nemesis (I can't remember her name - it could be Jessica) who causes trouble for them. When they need to get together to solve the problem, one of them hollers "Hey, you guys!" and we segue into the fresh sounding theme song. It involves beatboxing, which is always fun in short bursts, and these kids (OK, teens) bopping along in the park. As my kids dance around the family room, The Electric Company exhorts them to "feel the power" and tells them that "you will see, you belong in the Company!"

It's definitely updated but still retains some of the same features, such as the closeups of two people in profile. Each person says a sound and you put the sounds together to form words - like this: C---UP---CUP. It's a cute but effective way to teach kids about sounding out words. Although Henry is a good reader, William is still in the beginning phases of reading so he enjoys learning how to sound words out.

Since Sesame Street is still on the air and they have now redone Electric Company, I can relive shows that I enjoyed as kid with my own children. Now we're just waiting for Captain Kangaroo, Part 2. Or maybe Zoom. No, even better, Mister Rogers. Those hand puppets get me every time.

Edited to correct myself - it's Francine who is the troublemaker in Electric Company, not Jessica. Jessica is, according to William, "the good one." I think he has a crush on her.

No comments: