Friday, February 27, 2009

Parent/Teacher Conferences

I really look forward to attending Parent/Teacher conferences for my kids. Well, actually, for Henry since he's the only one in school full-time. I like sitting down with the teacher and getting a snapshot of how he's doing. I like seeing his progress and just having a few minutes to check in and make sure things are going well.

So far, so good. Henry has had excellent teachers and this year is no exception. I love his 2nd grade teacher because she is so positive. She seems to enjoy teaching and and it shows in how she interacts with the kids in her class. I saw her in our neighborhood a few days after school started last fall (her son and his family used to live across the street from us) and she said, "Oh, I just love having Henry in my class." I replied, "Well, it's only been 3 days; hopefully you can say that in another 177 days."

Henry is doing very well academically. He's proficient in everything that they have worked on so far. He's a good reader. He has done so well in Math this year that he has been in two enrichment programs, where he is pulled out of class once a week to do additional math projects with another group of kids. He has really enjoyed it.

Socially he's doing well also. Honestly, I used to worry about Henry socially. His birthday is July 31st so I worried a bit about him being among the youngest in his class from a social perspective. When he was in preschool you could tell that he was almost a full year younger than some of the kids in his class. But he seems to have matured because as far as I'm aware, he doesn't have any issues socially. He has alot of friends and is nice and respectful to his classmates.

Of course there are always things that can be improved. With Henry, it's his talking. I fear that this is my fault. I'm sure I gave my teachers fits all through school because I talked so much. And it was probably doubly frustrating because I was a good student and did all my work and was never disrespectful - I just couldn't keep quiet. Henry seems to be the same way. He needs to work on blurting out answers and talking out of turn. Of course, his teacher even managed to spin this in a positive way. She basically said, "Henry, you are just so excited to share what you know and so curious and interested in learning that I know sometimes it's hard for you to wait your turn to talk in class. But it's a skill you will need to develop as you get older so maybe we can work together on this. It's good to have things to work on because everyone needs to improve at something. Just be glad that this is the main thing you need to improve this year." He smiled, I smiled, she smiled and we all left happy.

Next year we'll have William to add into the Parent/Teacher conference mix, as he starts Kindergarten in the fall. I look forward to working with his teacher as well. I think it takes a special kind of person to teach elementary school. I know I couldn't do it. Luckily for us, there are lots of special people in our school district. And I'm grateful to them for all the hard work that they do (and will continue to do over the years) for our children.

3 comments:

Chris and Kels said...

I wish every parent could read this! I agree though...it does take a special person to teach elementary school...I know I couldn't!

Mom said...

Maybe I should find all of your
old reports cards with the comment
"great student, but talks too
much." (Sorry, I just couldn't resist!!)

Love,

Mom

mstokes said...

I still wonder about Henry's real age! 7 going on 14! Is Mrs. Checketts his teacher? He's is lucky - Mrs. checketts was Trevor's teacher too!