Thursday, July 7, 2011

Cast Away

Tessa got her cast off yesterday. She's been looking forward to/dreading it ever since she broke her arm. On one hand - yay! No more heavy cast to drag around - bike riding will commence - swimming will be a possibility. On the other hand - how are they going to get the pins out? Turns out, they just pull. And from Jay's description (he rallied from his bout with the stomach flu to ferry her to the "bone doctor", which is only fair since by the time he got home from China she was hitching her cast around like she was born with it and he missed the misery that was her surgery and the immediate recovery from said surgery) it was ugly. They actually sent the pins home with us! My only question - why? Jay asked me if I wanted to keep them and I looked at him like he was nuts and threw them away. I mean, I don't keep cute things like baby teeth and locks of hair. Why would I keep a long, thin piece of hardward that resided in my daughter's arm for a month?

Anyway, I had high hopes for the days after Tessa was free from her neon pink cast. I thought we'd finally be able to talk her into going outside at least. Yet.....no. It's almost like we're back to square one. She's sooooo careful with it - she walks around holding her arm like it's made of glass and she spent most of yesterday lounging around with her arm on a pillow. She's moving it more today and I'm confident that she'll be back to using it in a few days. Perhaps I can bribe her with some Wii time if she promises to only use her right hand.

I knew the Wii would come in handy some day!

1 comment:

Chris and Kels said...

So glad its off!!!! Yay for Tessa! Hey tell Jay thanks for the tip last night :)