Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Dear Tooth Fairy

William's teacher called me yesterday. Can I just say that I hate it when I see the words Public School on the Caller ID. Who is sick? What's wrong? Did I forget something? My heart races a little bit while I answer the phone with a tentative "Hello?"

Anyway, she was calling to let me know that William had lost a tooth a school in a fairly traumatic fashion. It was knocked out while he was playing at recess. I'm sure that this happens all the time, especially in first grade. This tooth has been loose for a really long time and frankly I was glad to hear that it had come out. She did want to warn me about his reaction to this event, however, because she found him in the hallway sobbing with blood streaming down his chin. He wasn't hurt but he was incredibly upset because he couldn't find the tooth. And no tooth meant no visit from the tooth fairy.

Good first grade teacher that she is, she helped him clean up and told him that he had options - the easiest and best being to write the tooth fairy a note letting him know what happened. Our neighbor Melissa told him that the same thing happened to her when she was a kid, which perked him up and had him talking all evening about how "Melissa got some money when she didn't have a tooth so I'm sure I'll get some." Melissa also told him that if he felt someone checking out his teeth overnight to pretend to be asleep - that it was probably just the Tooth Fairy verifying his story.

So, before bedtime, I wrote the following note:



And guess what? It worked! William walked around waving his 2-$1 bills like a fan, showing us all that the Tooth Fairy came through. He also said that he felt the Tooth Fairy checking his tooth. I don't want to say that my son is making up stories, but I know for a fact that the Tooth Fairy didn't touch his mouth while leaving his reward. Just saying.

No comments: