Sunday, January 24, 2010

Rock Star

I told Henry the other day that he was a rock star. Not because he has any musical talent whatsoever, mind you. Because he is such a medical anomaly at this point that when I call people about him, I barely have to mention my name and they interrupt me with, "Oh, you're Henry's mom. What can I do for you?" It's happened several times this week, the most recent being last night. Jay took the boys down to Salt Lake City to see the University of Utah play Air Force in basketball. I was putting Tessa to bed and didn't hear the phone ring; when I checked our voicemail, there was a message from Henry's new doctor (a pediatric endocrinologist in SLC). He asked me to call him back through the switchboard at Primary Children's Medical Center. When I did, I had barely gotten my name out when the operator said, "You're Henry's mom, right? For Dr. Donaldson? Hold on, I'll get him." And in less than 30 seconds I was talking to him. About Henry's lab work. On a Saturday night. (It's all fine, by the way; we are just lowering his calcium supplements).

Rock star, indeed. I'll be glad when we can go back to medical anonymity. Someday.

1 comment:

mstokes said...

First name basis is always a great thing when it comes to getting attention from a doctor or his office! I'm sure your prefer that he didn't know you guys at all - but, hey!