Thursday, January 7, 2010

One in a Million

It's 2:00 am and I'm sitting in a fairly comfortable chair watching Henry watch a movie. I don't typically allow movies in the middle of the night, but today (tonight?) felt like a good time to make an exception. This is the most awake he's been since his surgery ended yesterday afternoon and he said he didn't feel like sleeping. That makes two of us.

There is a one in a million chance that a child under age 10 will be diagnosed with thyroid cancer. Literally. Those are the odds. We always thought that Henry was a special kid and I guess he's proved us right again.

We have been told that if you are going to have cancer, thyroid cancer is the best kind to have. In the vast majority of cases it is a very curable disease, with about a 97 percent success rate. We are so grateful for that. But that doesn't change the fact that our 8 year old son's life has changed forever. I feel scared and sad for him. I wish I could change this. I wish it wasn't happening. I wish I could go back and change the past three weeks.

Instead I sit and watch my son watch "Angels in the Outfield" and pray that some of those angels will continue to watch over him. Unless they look like Christopher Lloyd. That's just creepy.

Thank you so much for your prayers and good wishes. If you don't mind, I'll ask for them to continue.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

I've been thinking of you guys! I'm so sorry this has happened. No parent wants to use the word "cancer" and their own child in the same sentence. Ever.
We're sending lots of prayers and healthy vibes from Texas!!! {{hugs}}

mstokes said...

One in a Million is a great title for Henry! Hang in there. Keep being as strong as you have been these past few days. We love you little family and will continue to pray for your whole family.