Friday, January 29, 2010

Distractions

We've been distracted around here for the past few weeks. Among other things, I have forgotten to:

*register the car with the DMV. Jay drove the Camry around and luckily didn't get a ticket for an expired registration. The form was sitting right where I normally put things that I need to do. It just didn't get done.
*do simple household tasks, like run the dishwasher. I load it and put the detergent in the little receptacle, but turning it on seems to escape my mind.
*sign checks. For the first time in all the years I've been paying bills, a check was returned to me because I forgot to sign it. Apparently that's kind of an important step.

As distracted as we've been, we've also been looking for fun things to do so pass the time. Jay took the boys to a Ute basketball game last weekend and took the kids to a matinee the weekend before that. Tomorrow we are escaping Cache Valley for a family birthday party for our nephew Colin.

Jay and I finally caved and sprang for the ultimate distraction - a Wii. Jay had American Express points that he could cash in, so we ordered one and it came today. I was prepared and bought Lego Star Wars ahead of time and the Wii came with Wii Sports so we've got a few games to play. I know that we're overcompensating for the stress of the past month but I don't care. Winter can be hard enough to get through but his winter has been harder than most for us and it only promises to get harder as we deal with Henry's cancer treatment over the coming weeks.

So, we're distracted. Some of it is good - yay Wii! Some of it is bad - hopefully I don't forget a child somewhere in the coming weeks. Maybe the good and bad distractions will balance each other out.

1 comment:

mstokes said...

Join the Wii club! Your job is the referee now.