Thursday, December 4, 2008

Glasses

Today Henry got glasses. We knew this day was coming. He had his first opthamologist appointment last summer and his eyes were "borderline". The doctor said that when (not if, but when) he started complaining of not seeing the board at school or headaches to bring him back. Fast forward to the week before Thanksgiving - Henry said he was having to squint to see things at school and he complained of a few headaches at the end of the day. So we took him back to have his eyes checked (they had slightly worsened) and ordered his glasses. He'll only need them for schoolwork and watching TV or movies for now, since he's nearsighted. He probably won't need them to read, but we'll encourage him to wear them most of the time to get used to them and to prevent eyestrain. He won't need them for recess or sports right now.

He seems OK with getting them; I think his eyes are bothering him enough that he knows it will help. I think he is a little worried about what people will say, but his best friend wears glasses and so do some kids at school, so I'm sure once he realizes that it's really not a big deal he'll be more comfortable. I just hope he is careful with them and doesn't lose them!

3 comments:

mstokes said...

He looks so grown up - A little Jay. I won't say that I think they are cute to his face - because I'm sure he doesn't want them to be cute! But they are CUTE!

LJ Wright said...

Cool glasses Henry! I hope you are getting used to them.

Lori said...

what a handsome little guy!