Wednesday, June 19, 2013

When It Rains....

Seriously, why does all the silly stuff happen all at the same time?

A week after Jay's trip to the hospital (for which I am anxiously awaiting our first payment requests), our stove died.  Actually it was the oven. We were making dinner on Father's Day and the bottom heating element started sparking.  We turned off the oven and one side stayed on and kept sparking, freaking everyone out, so we had to unplug the whole unit from the wall.  The whole thing smelled that horrible, electrical smell and we were scared to plug it back in.  So Monday was spent shopping for and ordering a new stove.  Jay is excited because it has a double oven.  Notice I said Jay is excited.  I guess I am.  I'm excited that he's excited.  But he enjoys cooking so he will probably use it more than I will.

The next day the van started making me nervous.  The digital odometer display has been intermittently flickering for a while now but it got worse and the radio started blinking out for a second or so at a time.  I have had enough experience with dying and dead alternators to get nervous about Jay taking the van up to Scout camp on Thursday so we took it in to have it checked.  Thank goodness it wasn't serious - just some corrosion on a battery cable and a loose connection.  It could have been much worse.

So, yeah, Scout camp.  Henry is there this week.  I wasn't that excited about sending him.  He's only 11 but turns 12 soon so they invited him to go.  He's never been away from home for that long before.  It's only an hour away but still, I wasn't sure about letting him go.  Jay kept saying, "he'll be fine" and he wanted to go so off he went.  My sources tell me he is having a great time which is good.  Jay is going up on Thursday and Friday so that will ease my mind a bit.  I'm just a bit of a control freak about my kids, I guess.  I realize as time goes by and they get older I will have to relax a little but I'm not quite there yet.

One day.

No comments: