Monday, December 10, 2012

...Since Sliced Bread

Gingerbread houses are not my favorite things.   Oh, my kids love them and we make one every year because Jay's mom is thoughtful and more fun than me and gives us a kit every Thanksgiving.  But I don't like them. 

It's not that I don't think it's cute or fun.  It's not too messy.  It's the building of the gingerbread house that gets me every single year.  Most kits have all the precut pieces but you still have to put the actual house together with the icing.  And I'm terrible at it.  The house is always crooked and lopsided and half falling down, even if I follow the directions and let it sit for hours before letting the kids attack decorate it with frosting and candy. 

Not this year.  Because this year, the gingerbread house came preassembled.  What a brilliant idea!  We just lifted the house out of the box, got all the decorations ready and  let the kids go for it.  The house didn't shift positions as Tessa was painstakingly applying her gumdrops.  It still took a long time - mainly because Tessa doesn't do anything quickly - but it was much less hassle and much more fun.


The tree did have to be put together so it is, of course, crooked.  but still.  Yay for pre-assembled gingerbread houses. 

No comments: