Thursday, December 15, 2011

The Bad Guy

I often play the role of the Bad Guy in our family.  Jay does too, but I'm home with the kids more so I'm typically the one who has to reign them in.

Tonight I played bad guy again and boy are they mad at me.  My kids love to watch Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader.  It's a fun show and they like to show off how smart they are.  They turned it on tonight and found themselves smack in the middle of "Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders Week".  The audience was full of Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders shaking their pom poms and the contestant was a cheerleader as well.  In uniform, of course.

I don't consider myself a prude or uptight about clothing in general.  My kids watch plenty of sports on TV and and in person and see plenty of cheerleading action.  But really?  I mean, I turn the channel when Victoria's Secret ads come on TV because my 10 and 8 year old sons don't need to see half naked women prancing around and, quite frankly, my 5 year old daughter doesn't need to see that either.  I'm certainly not going to sit and watch a 30 minute game show featuring women in clothing that barely covers what needs to be covered in public.   So after I picked my jaw up off the floor I made them turn the channel.  Their laughter at my reaction changed to outright indignation at the gall of a mother who is censoring their viewing for the evening.  Hopefully they'll be placated by the Charlie Brown Christmas special that comes on later this evening.

Although, as Jay just said, we are a bit curious to see if there are Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders who are smarter than 5th graders.  Hmmmm.   I guess we'll never know.

No comments: