Saturday, September 10, 2011

A Conversation with William

Today we took a bittersweet trip to Ogden.  We went to see Jay's grandmother.  We call her Great Nana.  She is living in a rest home now and is showing her age quite a bit (she turns 97 this fall).  We took pictures with her and spent a few minutes with her.  She seemed happy to see the kids running around and playing.  We hope she is comfortable and peaceful during this time of her life.

This isn't the best picture of our little family but I love the picture of Nana. 

We hung out in Ogden for a while and then Tessa, William and I headed home while Jay and Henry stayed to watch the Ute game with the rest of the family.  I like college football but Tessa isn't the biggest fan so keeping her out long past her bedtime for something she barely tolerates at home didn't seem like the best idea. 

We had quite the conversation on the way home.  I'm not sure what they had been thinking about, but we went from "Mom, when is the world going to end?" to "Are there aliens that are going to come and blow us up?"  I was a little flummoxed by the strange conversation but tried to be as reassuring as I could that the world wasn't going to end by alien attack.

Then, when we were almost home, William asked, "Is it hard to get married?"  He further clarified that what he really wanted to know was if it was hard for me to get a boyfriend.  Seeing as I didn't get married until I was 29, most people around here would say that yes, it was hard to get married.  But I just said that Jay and I met and decided we liked each other and fell in love and got married and no, once we decided that we loved each other it wasn't hard at all.  Tessa, the little romantic, was making puking noises in the backseat.  William then asked me what kinds of places we liked to go on dates.  When I mentioned dinner, he asked me if we went to Wendy's for dinner.  I said that it just depended on what we were doing for the rest of the date or if dinner was the main part of the date.  At that, William wisely said, "Yeah, I guess if you were just going to dinner on a date, you'd want to go somewhere more romantic than Wendy's.  Like Chick-Fil-A." 

Bless his cute little heart.

No comments: