Thursday, February 24, 2011

Who Are You and What Did You Do With My Son?

Henry had bloodwork done today. I've dreaded it all week. Telling Henry that he has to go to the hospital and get poked with a needle is about as fun as it sounds and his reactions generally aren't good. His last visit to the lab was in December and it was ugly. So generally we steel ourselves for the reaction and the fight and the cries of "I'm Not Going!" and just know it'll be over at some point.

Today, however, he surprised us. Jay told him that he needed to get some labs done today and his response was "OK". I wasn't there but didn't believe it when Jay told me. A bit later I thanked Henry for not throwing a fit about the need for a blood test today and he said, "It's OK. It's the anticipation that is bad. It's not as bad as I think it's going to be. Besides, I get a doughnut." Kid, I'll buy you a dozen doughnuts if this is your new way of dealing with getting bloodwork done.

Jay said that he didn't cry, not even a bit. The lab techs were a bit wary of him, though, and two of them asked him if he'd done this before (yes, he said, with a world-weary shrug) and if they needed to hold him (no thanks). They chatted about the Jazz with him and boom - done. No drama. No tears. Just a chocolate doughnut and a wave goodbye as he got out of the car to head into school.

Will wonders ever cease?

1 comment:

mstokes said...

Waaahhhooooo! That is amazing. Our kids' strengtha nd courage surprise us sometimes. But that has been a long time comin!