Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Preschool


Tessa started preschool today. She was very excited to wear her new shoes (they are Twinkle Toes and have sequins and sparkles and I don't care for them but she loves them) and carry her backpack.

She was pretty matter-of-fact about going to school this year. It's her second year in preschool and she knows the ropes - the routine, the teacher, the classroom and the kids. She told me that she made some new friends today, which is always good.

One of my favorite things about preschool are the Scholastic book orders. I love to buy books and they have some really good deals. Tessa's preschool teacher sends lots of flyers home so there is usually something that Tessa is interested in reading.

Last week we had Back to School night for preschool and her teacher sent home a book called The Kissing Hand. We were supposed to read it before school started so that she could reinforce the ideas in it on the first day. It's about a racoon who doesn't want to go to school and how his mom kisses his palm so that he can carry her kiss with him during school if he gets lonely. It's a sweet idea and lots of teachers use it at the beginning of the school year; William mentioned that his teacher read it to them as well. What I didn't count on was how emotional it made me. I actually got choked up reading this book to Tessa. She didn't notice, of course. She hopped off my lap and went about her business. Apparently she doesn't need me as much anymore.

I think I need a kissing hand.



1 comment:

Heather said...

I love the Kissing Hand! I've read it to Haven and Lily before they start school each year ~ This year I was completely in tears when it was my turn for a kissing hand.

So glad the kids are doing well in school. Tessa looks adorable all dressed for school.

My girls have Twinkle Toes too ~ the only good I've found with those is that they are learning to tie their own shoes :)

Happy Fall!!