Thursday, August 5, 2010

Water Party

One of the things that I love about Henry's birthday is that it's easy. The party, I mean. It's summer. We invite a few boys his age over, they play outside, generally in some form of water, and they basically entertain themselves. Throw in some food, cake and snow cones (thanks to my good friend Melissa's snow cone machine) and you've got yourself a fun little party. At least I like to think so.

This year we decided to take things up a notch and rent a water slide for the kids to play on. Again, my good friend Melissa came through. She gave me the number of a woman who rents out their water slide. It came in a big rubber tote with a motorized fan to blow it up. Even without the instruction book, I managed to get it up and running in about 30 minutes. And judging from the exclamations of "this is awesome" coming from my backyard, the boys enjoyed themselves.


(Hmm. I don't know why our grass looks red in this picture. But really, it's green.)

The only thing that I didn't like about it was that it didn't get really firm like I thought it would so the kids had to be really careful when they got to the top - they couldn't touch the sides or it would list a bit to the side. They were good about taking turns and going up one at a time so it wasn't really an issue but still, I wish it wasn't so squishy.

The party was from 2-4 pm, so after Henry's friends left (most of them, anyway) I invited the other neighborhood kids over to play on it for a bit. They were all younger than Henry but I figured, why not? It was already up and running and everyone might as well enjoy it since we had it for the day. Everyone seemed to have a good time.

As for me, I sat on chair in the garage and monitored the festivities from the shade. Occasionally I called out "No jumping!" or "Be careful, boys!" but for the most part I stayed out of the way and let them have their fun.

It's too bad we can't do something like this for William's birthday. Unfortunately, December doesn't typically lend itself to outdoor activities around here, much less a big, blowup water slide. We'll have to think of something else.

No comments: