Thursday, June 3, 2010

The Downside of Literacy

William's reading is coming along in leaps and bounds. He can read to himself now, although we still have him read aloud to us to make sure he's understanding what he's reading. Today, however, his reading ability drove me absolutely crazy as we were out and about, running errands.

We were stuck at a stop light in front of a movie theater. He said, "Mom, I want to see a movie. Is Prince of Persia appropriate for me?" My response was fairly predictable - "William, you aren't seeing Prince of Persia." He continued reading down the line, "What about Robin Hood? Or Date Night? Or Iron Man 2? Are they appropriate for me?" Thankfully at that point the light turned green and we moved along. I really don't need my 6 year old son asking me if "Sex and the City 2" is an appropriate movie for him to see.

The rest of the drive continued in that fashion. "Mom, what does Pad to Lease mean?" "What is a Taco Bell?" "Look, Hobby Lobby!" But at least he's reading, right. Yay?

No comments: