Thursday, June 10, 2010

Amphibious

We're not a water-loving family. We don't swim a lot. It's fine but it's just not our thing. Part of it stems from the fact that I'm a very left-brained, organized, routine loving person. When I have napping children, no one messes with my napping routine. This cuts into swim time, obviously, especially considering the fact that I'm also a big "go to bed early" mom, even in the summer and especially when the kids are young. I don't care if the sun is out until past 9 pm, my preschoolers and younger children are in bed by 8:00. Again, that cuts into water time for sure, especially combined with naptime.

But we're past that. We don't have any more nappers and the kids are better able to handle changes in their routine. Well, the boys are; Tessa still falls apart when she is later than 8 pm getting to bed. But still, I have resolved to get to the pool more this summer and so we have therefore started swim lessons.

It's going OK. I'm not sure Tessa is learning much of anything but she is having fun and that's just fine for a 4 year old. William doesn't love it but he doesn't cry (much) and says he has fun after every lesson. I don't know that he's learning that much either but he's getting more comfortable in the water so I kind of feel like it's a victory. Henry had Cub Scout Day Camp on Monday so he doesn't start his lessons until next week. He is not looking forward to it but I expect him to at least try. I don't even care if he can swim that much; I just want him to be more comfortable in the water.

Here are a few pictures:

Tessa floating on her back with one of her teachers:
William doing the same; he really really doesn't like floating on his back:

William kicking around the pool. He's OK as long as he's not on his back:

Tessa waiting on the little platform that they have for the smaller kids. It keeps their heads above the water, since all of these kids would be having trouble even in the 3 feet depth:

Today I went and bought some of those styrofoam-type swim noodles and goggles in an effort to be better about taking them swimming this summer. Now if the temperature will just stay above 70 degrees and it will stop raining every day we'll be all set.

1 comment:

Mel Wright said...

Swim lessons are always a good idea! Good for you to encourage them to try and at the very least get familiar with it.