Sunday, December 6, 2009

Weekend at William's

William had quite the weekend. The Tooth Fairy came to visit on Friday night and dropped off $5. Okay, I know the Tooth Fairy is kind of generous. But she doesn't give $5 per tooth - just $5 for the first lost tooth. It all started when Henry lost his first tooth. He was almost 7 when it happened and was very stressed about the fact that he was almost the last kid in his first grade class to lose a tooth. So the Tooth Fairy felt a little bad for him and overcompensated. Apparently she works on a sliding scale around here because Henry informed William that while he would get $5 for the first tooth, he would get $2 for a few teeth, then $1. Anyway, he was excited to have some spending money to fool around with. Coupled with the $2 bill that Aunt LeClaire and Uncle Heath sent for his birthday, he's got a few bucks to spend.

The whole Tooth Fairy visit started the weekend off with a bang. Saturday afternoon William had his first birthday party. Jay and I have decided that once the kids are in kindergarten we'll start letting them have little birthday parties that include friends from school, church and the neighborhood. William invited 8 kids and 6 of them were able to come. They had fun, I think. We made Yoda invitations that said, "Invited You Are....to William's 6th Birthday Party" and passed them out on Tuesday. Then we planned a few games - Star Wars Bingo, Pass the Thermal Detonator (basically we played Hot Potato, but we wrapped a baseball in aluminum foil and called it a thermal detonator) and Yoda Says. The kids were really sweet and gave him some fun presents. We had cake and ice cream. And they played for a bit before their parents came. It was only 1 1/2 hours long and it was a good amount of time. I always planned two hours for Henry's parties, but his are in the summer and we just put the kids outside with water toys and games and they play on their own. It was harder to plan an inside party - and we were definitely inside since it snowed all day long.

Anyway, here are some pictures from the party:

Blowing out the candles:

Opening presents from his friends:
Playing Star Wars Bingo:
The Star Wars Cake:
I wasn't that impressed with the cake. I looked all over town for a Star Wars cake and this was the only one I could find. The figures of Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader had lightsabers that lit up, which was cute, but I wish I could have found a cake that was more fun. I'm not nearly creative enough to do one on my own and I didn't plan ahead enough to order some cake decorations that I could have used anyway. William seemed to like it, though, and I guess that is all that matters.

So William's big weekend is over and I admit I'm relieved. I'm a bit Star Wars'd out and ready to get down to the business of planning for Christmas.

1 comment:

Kassey said...

looks fun!! Kyron had a blast! He said that you don't like snakes!! The things that little boys pick!!