Friday, September 25, 2009

The Sam Books

I just realized that I haven't blogged all week. I wish it was because I've been so incredibly busy doing something important like finishing Tessa's baby book, but it's not. All my free time has been taken over by Lego Star Wars. OK, not really. But Henry and William both like me to play with them sometimes and the next thing I know, it's an hour later. Plus, not that much has been going on. Jay has been incredibly busy at work, so I've been on evening duty by myself and by the time everyone is in bed, I'm tired.

William's kindergarten class had a Family Stories and Snacks day on Thursday. All the kids introduced their families by displaying a family banner, we ate doughnuts, and saw a magic show. It was cute and fun and I did take the camera but never took it out of my purse.

William has hit a milestone that is noteworthy, however. He has started bringing home books to read. We call these The Sam Books. They are short little books with a few words that he is supposed to read three times to either Jay or I. We sign a paper stating that he's mastered the book and he brings home the next one in the series. They are silly little books but perfect for kids who are beginning to read. Henry brought home the same books in kindergarten, although he didn't start reading until after Christmas of his kindergarten year. William has been sounding out simple words for a while now, though, so it doesn't surprise me that he has started officially reading.

My favorite thing about reading these books with him are his expressions of exclamation points. He is reading along very nicely and calmly and all of the sudden bellows "Sam! Sam!", as if Sam the lion is standing across the street and he's very earnestly trying to get his attention. It's cute and fun and nice that he's started reading.

No comments: