Sunday, September 6, 2009

A Long Time Ago, In a Galaxy Far, Far Away....

...a great adventure took place. Cue the Star Wars theme. Grab the popcorn and get ready for a fun movie.

Tonight we introduced the kids to Star Wars. The original. The movie that came out in 1977 and that I saw at least 10 times that summer (the summer I was 8). I loved that movie so much. I remember thinking what a dreamboat Han Solo was and holding my breath as Luke destroyed the Death Star. Good times, I tell you.

Henry started asking if he could watch Star Wars last week. Apparently he has been playing the Lego Star Wars computer game at a friends house and wanted to see what all the fuss was about. I have the original movies on VHS tape (we still have lots of those around here) and we figured why not? There's nothing objectionable about them. They are fun. And there's something for everyone; even Tessa got on board after Henry told her that there was a princess in the movie.

They loved it! And Jay and I enjoyed it more than I thought we would, after all these years. We quoted dialogue to each other and laughed at some of the cheesiness of it all. William kept saying, "I love this movie", mainly after the battle scenes, and "This is just like Star Tours", a ride that they rode twice at Disneyland.

The only problem was that, from the computer game, Henry is aware of all kinds of stuff that comes up later - like Yoda and the Ewoks. So it looks like viewings of The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi are in our future.

I think we need to stock up on popcorn.

3 comments:

LJ Wright said...

Yeah Star Wars! What you need to do is actually start with them in sequential order. I did this during the summer with my friends and it was a lot of fun. We did dinner theme nights and watched the movie.

mstokes said...

Now you'll have to break out Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and Newsies and Pollyanna! Those were my oldie favorites.

The Royal Family said...

We love Star Wars! I'm glad they finally go to see it.