Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother's Day!

Mother's Day is always a fun day at our house. The kids are young enough that they are pretty excited about any celebration that involves treats, even if they aren't the target of said celebration. Both William and Henry both made cute little Mother's Day gifts at school (Henry's is seen in the picture; I must say the sentiment is appreciated) that they informed me were "none of your business" until the big day arrived. Jay took the kids out on Saturday to choose a card, a treat (cheesecake - yummy), some flowers, and a gift (a nice gift certificate for a massage or facial at a local salon). They made French toast in the morning for breakfast. And they let me sleep in. Which isn't unusual, actually, since Jay is an early bird and is typically the one up with the kids in the morning.

This Mother's Day it was especially nice, since Tessa woke up throwing up around 2 am. Poor thing. We have all, except for Jay, been stricken with the stomach flu this past week (William was over a week ago, then Henry and I were sick on Tuesday night and Wednesday). We're not sure why the actual sickness is so spread out among us - usually we're like dominoes and everyone is sick and done with in fairly short period of time. We even thought that if Tessa wasn't sick by Saturday, we were probably in the clear. Yeah, right.

Since the Primary children were singing a Mother's Day medley at church today, the boys were quite upset that I might miss their performance and so Jay stayed home with Tessa. According to her, she watched Beauty and the Beast while "Daddy took a nap on the couch. During the day. Downstairs." This was quite funny to Tessa, apparently, but she behaved and quietly watched her movie while Jay took a cat nap. Meanwhile, at church, the boys alternately mugged and grinned (William) and stared woodenly at the congregation (Henry) during the aforementioned medley. But it's always cute and I gave them big hugs and kudos for a job well done.

At church they also passed out white roses to the women in the congregation as a Mother's Day gift. These gifts vary - sometimes it's a flower, sometimes a small booklet, occasionally a treat. Last year (I believe the gift was a single red rose), upon seeing the rose that I had been given, William blurted out "gosh, Mom, it's too bad you aren't a big fan of roses", much to the delight of the 20 people seated closest to us. He was warned this year, but that didn't stop him and Henry from dissolving into a fit of giggles as I admired my flower. What can I say? I prefer daisies. It's the thought that counts. And I certainly appreciate the thought.

All in all, a good day was had by all. Tessa seemed recovered well enough to join us in our dinner and cheesecake. I have a massage or facial or something to look forward to. And I, apparently, rock. What more could I ask for?

1 comment:

LJ Wright said...

How fun! Nothing is better than cheesecake. I had a fabulous retail therapy weekend in Park City. Mother's Day is the one Sunday a year I give myself permission to skip church and not feel guilty about it :)