Saturday, November 3, 2012

Brag Alert


Henry received his first report card this past week.  Where we live, the kids don't really bring home report cards until middle school, which is 6th grade.  I get progress updates and know how they are doing, but they don't receive letter grades.  So I was excited to see Henry's first official report card at the end of the 1st Quarter.

As you can see, he did great!  He made all A's and made Honor Roll.  He was proud of himself, and rightly so.  Middle school has been an adjustment.  He went from basically having little to no homework every night (because he finished it during school) to having homework at least half the time.  He has 7 different classes to keep up with and it has been a bit of a challenge. 

He was quick to tell us that he had friends who were paid for making honor roll - he was throwing out numbers like $50.  I'm sure that works for some families but Jay and I don't want to pay him for making good grades, which we expect anyway.  We did, however, want to make a big deal out of his success and make it clear that we were proud of him and his accomplishment.  Our compromise was to take the family out to dinner, with Henry getting to choose the location.

His first choice was Pizza Pie Cafe.  Gross.  I hate that place.  Honestly, I would rather not eat than eat there so I smiled and said, "your choice, Henry" and planned to eat dinner before we headed out.  Jay took pity on me and started lobbying for other choices.  I think his main argument was that the kids had just eaten there with Grandma while Jay and I were in Paris.  Whatever he said, it worked, because we are now going to Black Pearl, a Chinese place in Logan. 

Congrats to Henry on his first inclusion on Honor Roll.  And thanks to Jay for making it possible for me to enjoy a dinner out with my family.  Everyone in the Wright family is a winner today!

No comments: