Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The Taste of Crow

I'm eating crow this week and I have to say it doesn't taste as bad as I thought it would.

Let me explain. I've never been a technophile. I like technology, don't get me wrong, but I don't salivate at the latest and greatest innovations. I still have the same iPod Shuffle that I bought a few years ago. It works fine for what I use it for (to pass the time on the treadmill). I have no desire for a newer/bigger/more expensive MP-3 player. Our computer is older than Tessa. My cell phone is probably the most basic model you could ever own at this point, but it's fine. It makes calls and texts - what else do I need?

Jay, on the other hand, likes his technology. Every so often he gets new stuff via work and he's typically exposed to the latest and greatest. He got a new phone a while back and it reminded me of that commercial where the woman asked her husband if he needed to be alone with his new phone - he spent the entire weekend fooling around with it. I teased him about loving a phone (or an iPad or iPad or whatever). And now we come to the "Rhonda is eating crow" part.

Because I now have a Kindle. The perfect techological innovation for a reader. I've been snobbish about them in the past. I like reading "real books". And I still do. But can I just say how nice my Kindle is? I quickly downloaded a bunch of books - lots of them were free, although I have to say that I'll have to watch how much I spend on this thing because it's waaaayyyy too easy to click "BUY". And although I only read one book at a time (just my preference) I love having a stack, or in this case a list, of books ready to go as soon as I finish what I'm currently reading.

Plus there are games. I've become addicted to this game where you have to find all the words possible with a group of letters - I can't remember the name of it. But last night when Jay went to bed he said, "Don't stay up to late playing with your Kindle". "OK", I said as I kissed him goodnight. Then I triumphantly found the longest word that I needed to fine (GADGETS) and unlocked the next level. Let's just say I was up for a while longer.

So I love my Kindle - a great surprise for Mother's Day for me. I also loved the homemade cards that my kids gave me, the bouquet of flowers from William made of pipe cleaners and cupcake liners, and the "#1 MOM" shirt from Henry (that I have threatened to wear to all his baseball games). It was a good day.

Now I just have to learn to continue to be a good mom while I balance time with my Kindle. Because believe me, it's more fun to read or play games on it than it is to play checkers with Tessa.

3 comments:

Kassey said...

i love reading too, everybody always asks me about the kindle, we will have to chat about it!! It is easy to get addicted to that kind of stuff!! So fun!

LJ Wright said...

Welcome to the age of Kindle. You will actually find your eyes appreciate the enlarging you can do with the text...

mstokes said...

Who would have ever thought? Congrats? If you can't beat them, join them.