Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Henry J. Wright, Esquire

Can I just start by asking how in the world did Jay and I end up with a child turning 8? Finishing 2nd grade? Seriously, I don't know where the time has gone but he sure seems grown up lately. He can tie his own shoes. He's losing teeth. He can call a friend on the phone. He takes out the trash and recycling. He reads the sports section of the newspaper in the morning before school, for heaven's sake. And if you know Henry, he's more like 7 going on 25 alot of the time, as evidenced by the account below.

Today in Henry's 2nd grade class they had Author's Day. It was a special program where the kids in his class all read something that they had written during the year. Most of the offerings were short stories about a myriad of things - puppies and kitties, ducks, secret agents, that kind of thing. Some of the kids wrote about their lives - sports, skateboarding, playing with friends, going to Disneyland. Not our Henry. He wrote about U.S. State Records. Apparently he was inspired by the 2008 World Record book he was reading and decided to research some of the more interesting facts and share them with the class. If you want to know about avocado production in the state of California in 2008, look no further:



His presentation was just so Henry. After complimenting him on his essay and buying him (and William and Tessa) a half price slushie at Sonic to celebrate, I asked him if he enjoyed writing fiction. He grimaced. That's OK. The world needs researchers.

He's had a great 2nd grade year with a wonderful teacher. We are so proud of him!

4 comments:

LJ Wright said...

You may have a future statistician on your hands.

Kassey said...

I love Pat Checketts! I hope that my kids get to have her as a teacher she is the best. my siblings all had her but I wasn't so lucky!! Kids grow up so fast!

Mel Wright said...

Way to go Henry! What a cool thing to report on, I like that.

Mom said...

I look forward to reading Henry's first publilshed book!!! Looks like he would really enjoy research!!!

Yes, where did all the years go????

Love

Mom