Thursday, March 26, 2015

Stop the Presses

Anyone who knows me even a little bit knows I'm not crafty.  I won't say I'm not creative because there are lots of different ways to be creative, but I'm not creative in an artistic, cute, fun, crafty kind of way.  Don't feel sorry for me, though.  I'm OK with it.  I kind of embrace it.  I can solve a quadratic equation and help Henry find the surface area of a cylinder so I figure we all have our set of talents and skills.

Sometimes you have to step outside your comfort zone, though, and I did it this week.  Tessa's 3rd grade class performed an opera - they came up with the costumes, the lyrics, the story and the sets.  She tried out for different parts in the opera and was cast as a pig.  Which meant she needed a pig costume.  

I can buy pink, so I did.  Someone else had a curly pig tail so they loaned it to her.  Great.  But she needed a pig nose.  Sigh.

I googled.  Pinterest beckoned me but then I saw all the ideas and, as I always do when confronted with Pinterest, I curled up in a fetal position on the floor.  However, there were images that seemed doable.  I had an empty toilet paper roll and a glue gun.  My friend Nicole, who is crafty and sews and stuff, had pink felt (! - really - pink felt!) and elastic. 

So, I present, my version of a pig nose:

And don't ask me to make anything else for a very, very long time.  I'm exhausted.  I can, however, help you find the volume of a pyramid.  Or use the Pythagorean Theorem to find the missing side of a right triangle.  That I can do!

No comments: