Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Countdown

I bet you think I am counting down to the start of school, right?  Well, no.  Not exactly.  School does start in a month or so but there is plenty of summer fun to be had until then so I'm not there yet.  Give me a few weeks.  Next week is Henry's birthday, then my birthday, then a fun overnight trip to SLC with the kids, then school starts.  Holy moly, that's coming up quick.  Oh well.  Maybe I will start a countdown, just for fun.

No, I'm counting down to the vacation that Jay and I are taking together.  Just us.  No kids.  To Paris.  Paris, France - not Paris, Idaho.  We have been planning this trip for probably 18 months at this point.  All those trips Jay has taken over the past ten years to China and Australia and Panama and Mexico and wherever in the continental US are paying off big time for the Wrights.  Well, for two of the Wrights.  The younger three will be in school and therefore aren't invited.  Actually they wouldn't be invited if there weren't in school.  They will be having a big party with their newly retired Grandma, who is coming to hang out with them while we are traipsing around France (well, Paris mostly with side trips to Normandy and Versailles).

My passport expired a few years ago (not much need for one of those lately) so I had to reapply and the government tells me that it'll be here in plenty of time.  I realized that I don't want to wear my mom jeans and hoodies while sightseeing so I've started buying a few things to wear that hopefully will class me up a bit (I've had to enlist my personal shopper Melissa to help me out here, but she's good and I know she is up to the task).  Jay is narrowing down our eating choices so that we can maximize our culinary experience.  And we are planning to walk and eat and see whatever we can while we are there.  It will be awesome.

I'm a little nervous, though.  We haven't been away from the kids overnight in several years.  I know that they will be fine and probably wish we could stay away a little longer once they realize that Grandma's fondest wish is to spend time with them like this and she will likely spoil them like only a grandmother can.  I'm just a bit of a control freak about my kids.  I have a bad feeling that I'll cry a little when we drive away.  But then I'll be fine.

Because I'll be wandering the streets of Paris with my favorite person in the world on our 15th wedding anniversary.

Only 72 days to go.

No comments: