Thursday, April 7, 2011

Spring? Break

This week is spring break for the kids. The week started out well. The weather was pretty good - not great or as warm as I'd like it but April in Utah is a mixed bag so you take what you can get. The kids played with friends and spent time outside. William had a soccer practice. It was a little cool and a little breezy but doable. On Wednesday my good friend Melissa and I took our kids (5 between us) to Ogden to the Nickel Arcade. You pay an admission but then all the games are a nickel (or two or four, but you get the idea). Tessa and Easton liked the rides best - you know, the kind of rides you can ride at the grocery store? They had a ton of them and most of them were just a nickel. Score! Henry and William played some games and at the end we cashed in our tickets for some incredibly well made merchandise (insert sarcastic face here). It was a lot of fun, however, and I'd post some pictures but neither Melissa or I remembered our camera. Lame, I know. Trust me when I say it was The Best Day Ever. Today it looks like this:


Sigh. We decided to go to a movie. There were a few options to choose from in the theaters. The kids have seen Tangled and I just got it in the mail from Netflix so we'll watch that this weekend at home. We don't have Beiber fever enough in our house to brave the Justin Beiber concert movie (actually, we don't have Beiber fever at all). I refuse to see Yogi Bear - I already saw Alvin and the Chipmunks 2 a few years ago and am still regenerating the brain cells I lost during that 90 minute time period and Yogi Bear seems like it would be worse (if that's possible). So that left Hop, which got a D in Entertainment Weekly magazine, or Gnomeo and Juliet. Since Gnomeo and Juliet is playing at the discount theater, we opted for the 2:10 pm showing today. I don't think I'd recommend it. It was basically the story of Romeo and Juliet, except with garden gnomes, set to the soundtrack of Elton John. The music part confused me. After a while I started thinking, "why are all the songs in this movie by Elton John" and wondering when the song "Benny and the Jets" was going to come on because there was a garden gnome named Benny. So I looked it up when I got home and it was produced by, you guessed it, Elton John.


Anyway, it wasn't even that funny. No laughs, Tessa was in my lap the last 20 minutes and Henry said it was one of the worst movies he'd ever seen. Take that for what it's worth (for the record, Henry loved Alvin and the Chipmunks 2) but if you have any other options, I don't think I'd see this movie. Or rent it. Or Netflix it. Or buy it. But it passed the time on a snowy April day. So that's something.


Only one more day of spring break. The forecast - Rain/Snow Showers. Hop is starting to look pretty good about now.

No comments: