Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day

Jay always goes to a lot of trouble to make sure that I have a nice Mother's Day. He always has the kids get me a nice, usually funny card. He buys me a gift; often it is a gift certificate for a massage which I love since it's something that I would never spend money on for myself. He writes me a lovely note and lets me know how much I'm appreciated. He does other things, too - cooks dinner and gets up with the kids - but he does those all the time so I don't think of them as "Mother's Day treats". I am grateful, though, to have a husband who values what I do as a mother and shows me every day that he appreciates and loves me.

I'm never sure what to get my mom. This year I settled on a card with the promise of a lunch out together when she comes to visit in July. I am really bad about buying and sending gifts and am not very original as far as thinking of something fun. Even so, it's always nice to talk to my mom and wish her a Happy Mother's Day. Same for my mother-in-law; she's wonderful and I appreciate her so much.

Church is always a treat on Mother's Day. The children sing a few songs, which is a big hit with everyone. This was Tessa's first year singing and she did more looking around than singing but it was cute. Henry and William sang a little; they weren't very excited about singing in front of the congregation. Our ward had a few of the high school seniors (who are in our Sunday School class) speak about motherhood, which was nice. The gift this year was a CD of inspirational songs. It was nice; I much prefer something like this to flowers. One year they gave out long-stem roses and after I received mine, William said (loudly), "It's too bad you aren't a big fan of roses." Which is true, but no one needed to know that.

To all the women that I know, Happy Mother's Day.

No comments: